Monday, December 6, 2010

thinking of the things I wanted to save

The past week was impossible to bear; Monday morning started with a relatively small fire near my home, the smoke could be seen from my front porch, the smell was very strong and I started thinking about what's going to happen when I’ll be ordered to leave my home.

I was walking around my house, restless, I couldn't do anything useful besides thinking of the things I want to save.
The emergency authorities said there is nothing to worry about at the moment, planes were flying around us. It took a full day for that fire to be put out and that night we went to sleep calmly.

Little did I know, that it won’t last for long. Last Thursday I was terrified. Just before noon I was listening to the radio and I heard that a huge fire has started, only a 15 minute drive from my home.
What does that mean? Do I have to pack? Do I have to think about leaving the house? Again?! What do i take first? The firefighting service declared it as the biggest fire in Israel's history, I decided to pack : My kids, a few albums, my laptop & camera. DH found the perfect timing to be in Los Angeles on a business trip; We all drove to my mother's house, I felt like I have a huge rock on my chest, and all I wanted was to make this disaster go away.

The following days were so awful: roughly 17,000 people were evacuated from their homes. The 82-hour fire claimed the lives of 42 people, burnt dozens of homes, destroyed thousands of acres of land, and raised many difficult questions.

These days left me thinking about the power of nature. I am sure some of you have heard or experienced similar wild fires in your country.... If it wasn't for the great international help we got from so many countries, I am not sure I would be writing this post from my home. I wish I could thank every single nation that helped in this effort. I am sure that when the time comes Israel will be there to help others. Fortunately, nobody thinks about politics when human lives are involved.

So, thank you for being here, reading my post, I really needed to share this, I couldn't ignore everything around me and go on 'business as usual'.

Just before the fire started, I was about to publish a post about a big giveaway I’m having for my 1st anniversary of polypediaonline, but it felt wrong without saying a few words about my personal feelings.

In a few days when life will return to normal, I’ll go live with my planned giveaway, See you soon.

14 comments:

  1. Dear Iris!
    Hope that you are all well and save. Yes, the power of nature is unlimited and we can do almost notrhing about that! With best wishes!Majda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are ok :) things can be replaced and they are only things , after all ....

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to read that you and all your loved ones survived this horrific ordeal!!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! I am so glad to hear that you and your loved ones are fine! I cannot imagine going through that! Thanks for sharing.
    Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

    PS I am also thankful that people remember just to be people, in times of need. Really, we are all the same, when it comes down to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad yo're safe.

    Maryellen garnewtwo@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Iris, I just can't imagine it: The UK is very built up and we have quite a wet climate so we don't really suffer from wildfires. Thinking of you. I hope you feel settled soon, Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Iris I am so glad you're OK! It must be terrifying to think of your family and home being in danger. I feel for you. Similar fires burned all over our Province this year and last. Though not too close to my home, we could see and smell the smoke. You were very fortunate to be spared the loss. You must feel so grateful. I know I would be constantly hugging my kids if something happened like that to us. Take care and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you everyone for your kind comments, warms my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can certainly understand what you were going through as we were surrounded with many forest fires 2 summers ago and we knew a lot of people who lost their homes in them. It was frightening seeing the firefighting crews and helicopters all around working on the fires and the air so thick of smoke. Glad to hear you and your home is okay and wishing you all the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! News of the great fire has shocked the whole world. I know my own country, Spain has participated in helping in this disaster. I just want to send words of encouragement. I believe that living a tragedy does appreciate life more, the people around us. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you're ok. I was following the reports on the translator's list and it was terrifiing even reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh Iris - I´ve been praying for you and hoping that you´ll be allright. I´m so so happy to hear that you and your family are!!! Big big hugs from Norway!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iris, I'm so happy you and your family are ok. I have the beautiful key chain I won from your give away on my work table to give me inspiration. Every time I look at it now I'll think of you and your family and pray the fires stay and you remain safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Iris, I am so happy that you didn't have to lose your possessions, or worse, any loved ones. I lived through the "Santa Anna's" in California growing up, the hot winds wreaked havok with any idle spark. It was very scary, then moved to Texas and our entire house burned down. It is difficult. I have thought often what I would pack in an emergency, I have soooo many things that I value. The important thing, of course, is your family and friends. I hope that you and yours are safe throughout this new year. We really love you in the states! Bless you! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete